Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Cranky with a Chance of Passing Giggles

So it's been a very "off" day. I just don't feel very loud, bright, cheery...which tends to worry people. I wore new shoes today, which was totally a terrible idea. My feet hurt before second period even started. Thank goodness I'm a mess and keep spare (forgotten) flats in the trunk of my car.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of coverage in different classrooms in my building, and have been having a very tough time accepting certain differences. I wish I had covered the isolation classroom before I wrote my paper, but both days I left school very troubled, and describing it to Josh on Monday night I started sobbing. How can twelve different students walk into a classroom and right past their classmates, who have special needs, without even greeting them or acknowledging their presence? How can they spend twenty minutes of advisory huddled in a corner of the room so far from the kids that are "different?" It's just not fair and I really want to change some things. Can I? Where do I even begin?

I think that's why I've been sort of down the past few days, and my classes have certainly brought giant smiles to my face. We've seen fake teeth, funny masks, and shared giggles that seem to erupt out of nowhere very quickly. I'm hoping tonight perks me up a bit, Wednesday nights usually do.

:)

5 comments:

  1. Every teacher has days like you described, weeks even, keep moving forward, there will be just as many great days ahead, when your students make you cry for better reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian...here's hoping tomorrow is one of them!

      Delete
  2. It is so hard to be a visitor in a space with very little power to make the kind of changes that you know would benefit everyone in the community. I totally understand the helplessness your position -- it leaves a heavy heart. Is there anything you can do in the short spurts you are with these kids in an advisory block, for example?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that may be something I can try, since I don't have my own advisory. It is just very frustrating to see certain injustices....especially when all some of these kids need is a simple smile and a "hello" to get them through the day without feeling invisible...

      Delete
  3. I guess we were on the same page with our titles!

    ReplyDelete