Monday, September 7, 2015

A Tale of Two Lesson Plans

Sometimes, I wait until kind of last minute to do things. Okay - fine. Most of the time, I am a very last-minute, down-to-the-wire, working "until the clock strikes 12" kind of person. So Frank Smith's first chapter of The Book of Learning and Forgetting was sitting there waiting for me this morning.


While I always swear to myself that I will "get things done sooner" next time, I seldom follow my own advice. Which is why I sat down this morning to read Smith, and also plan my lessons for the week. For once, I couldn't be happier that I didn't do my planning on Saturday afternoon, like I had originally hoped to do. As I consider my options for introducing Main Idea and Supporting Details to my English class this coming week, Smith's words resonate in my mind: "Learning is not hard work. Something is being learned, whether we want it or not, all the time" (5). I sit back now and wonder how my classroom fosters learning, and whether it lends itself to the "classic view" or the "official theory" of learning and forgetting.

One of the biggest things I think that sets apart a classroom grounded in Smith's classic view versus one grounded in his official theory is tests - something that I don't believe in as a way to measure student learning and achievement. Testing is about memorizing facts and materials for a short period of time, and then forgetting. If the students learn the material for a test and then forget it two weeks later, have they really learned anything at all - other than that negative feeling that sits in the pit of their stomach at the brief mention of the word "test?" Instead, I have seen so much growth in my students' writing over the past couple of years through Writers' Workshop and Literature Circles and Readers' and Writers' Notebooks.

So why do I sit here and beat myself up over not creating a cool worksheet that helps students identify the main idea and how to pick out key supporting details in informational text? Chances are that that worksheet will be filled out per my request simply to earn a homework check (rewards and punishment), and then either thrown out or lost, but definitely forgotten. My students know how to identify the main idea and supporting details - they just need more practice with it. Instead of babying them or "dumbing down" the material, why don't I try to challenge them, allow them to work together, and encourage them along the way?

Smith claims, "we know the likelihood of their becoming like the people with whom they associate and identify most." We've been hearing this for years - but have we truly thought about putting it to use in our classrooms?


Who do our students spend the most of their time with? Their families? Their sports teams? Friends? Us? What traits and tendencies do we want them to carry throughout their lives if we are one of the five biggest influences? Do I want my students to think about a worksheet or test when my name is mentioned? Absolutely not. Instead, I want them to think about taking risks, and challenging themselves, and doing things with purpose. 

I look forward to reading more of Smith, as this chapter was definitely perfectly timed with my already-procrastinated lesson plans...which are now also done, thanks to Smith's inspiration :)

6 comments:

  1. Tina, I loved your thought on the graphic organizer that you were going to make. I think we spend so much time on trying to find a way to scaffold what we are teaching, but when we know our learners and we believe in them and their abilities all we have to do is give them the chance to practice. To practice the skills they are still developing, to work together when they are stuck. This is how learning goes, it is boundless, we can always grow and learn from each other and I think that is great that you see this and are giving your students the space and time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina - I love the way you explain your view on tests and worksheets. I think it is easy for middle school teachers especially to get caught up in these, like Jenny said, for the sake of scaffolding, but also efficiency for us as teachers. It's much messier to "challenge them, allow them to work together, and encourage them along the way." A grade doesn't go neatly with that. We have to keep asking "What is best for my learners?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina-- I think it is okay to a point to give worksheets <> as a way to explain a process, but we should not worksheet them to death. Of course it is necessary. I do not undermine or think worksheets are not purposeful, but they do serve a purpose in learning. But teaching and learning should not be "teacher---> student---> teacher" (regurgitation of information). I think it should be teacher---> student----> student---> class" (teacher gives information, student collaboration happens, and then shared out with the class/community).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina, I think it is great that you realize what really works for students in terms of growth in your classroom--you mention Writers' Workshops, Lit Circles, and Readers'/Writers' notebooks. It is so important to know what works for your students in your classroom. I am just starting to become more aware of that myself. I am also learning to not get so hung up on what other teachers do because I know that that's their deal and not necessarily mine. Also, I think a lot of times we (myself definitely included) get hung up on, like you said, creating a cool worksheet. I guess my only question to you is How do you know they already know main idea and supporting details?? The only reason I ask is because many of my grade 9 students struggle with that--which is what I thought to be a pretty obvious/straightforward concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina,
    Perhaps (much like myself) you have learned classically to put things off until they need to be done. I like the pressure and focus that comes with a deadline, and I have so much crap to do that it just all gets pushed back until it becomes urgent. I feel like I need to disagree with you slightly on your take regarding testing. I have always felt like if you knew something, then the test was just a representative sample of that knowledge, and therefore no big deal. The problem with the high stakes testing system that we have, is that it is a crappy instrument that measures the wrong stuff. Think about training for a competition, you know what the criteria are, you work as hard as you can to prepare, then you compete. The feedback you get guides your next set of preparation, and on and on.
    I also just wanted to make a quick comment about your second graphic, I often talk to players on my team, and students in my class about who they choose to spend their time around, because I think eventually, you end up more similar to the people you spend time with than different. This is a great poster, and a great model for changing the world you are in, for the one you want. I am definitely going to use this to springboard a discussion in my class.....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina,
    Perhaps (much like myself) you have learned classically to put things off until they need to be done. I like the pressure and focus that comes with a deadline, and I have so much crap to do that it just all gets pushed back until it becomes urgent. I feel like I need to disagree with you slightly on your take regarding testing. I have always felt like if you knew something, then the test was just a representative sample of that knowledge, and therefore no big deal. The problem with the high stakes testing system that we have, is that it is a crappy instrument that measures the wrong stuff. Think about training for a competition, you know what the criteria are, you work as hard as you can to prepare, then you compete. The feedback you get guides your next set of preparation, and on and on.
    I also just wanted to make a quick comment about your second graphic, I often talk to players on my team, and students in my class about who they choose to spend their time around, because I think eventually, you end up more similar to the people you spend time with than different. This is a great poster, and a great model for changing the world you are in, for the one you want. I am definitely going to use this to springboard a discussion in my class.....thanks!

    ReplyDelete